Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bad Dog

We love snacks, but not everything humans eat is safe for dogs. We’ve heard about chocolate, but here’s a little known dangerous product.

Xylitol is a common sugar substitute contained in products like gum, candy, breath mints, toothpaste, mouthwash and other products. It’s harmless to humans, but very toxic to dogs. Dogs ingesting products with Xylitol experience a rapid drop in blood sugar and often experience liver damage. As few as 2 sticks of gum can be fatal to a small dog – 5 can be toxic to a large dog. Here's the ASPCA press release. http://tinyurl.com/5wnwu8

We dogs are pretty smart, but sometimes our nose will leads us where our mouth shouldn’t go. Be extra careful what you leave around the house!

'Til later,


No comments:

Post a Comment